Some of you are probably wondering why the title is Disney Skittles. Skittles is a nail term meaning "different on all nails". So this is a skittle mani because all of my nails have a different design on them.
There, now you learned some new nail lingo!
So before we get into the pictures, let me explain why I decided to do Disney nails. I would never have chosen to do something like this on my own, which is strange because I love it so much now that its already on my nails. So as most of you know I am an Instagrammer (@letsbehappy16) as well as a blogger. I came across a Disney nail art contest on Instagram hosted by @everything_nail_me and just thought, what the heck! So I entered and came up with such a cute design which you can all see below!
Oh my gosh so cute. I can't even handle it. I LOVE the ring finger! I'm thinking of trying that same design but with different colors on all of my nails! Although I'm having trouble thinking of good color combos.....
Anyways, I just absolutely adore how it turned out, and I hope the contest hostess loves it as much as I do!
Now for the how-to. I actually tried to take some pictures during the process so you guys can see a step-by-step picture tutorial!
These are the supplies you'll need. Shown above is a red polish (I actually used two because I liked the sparkle that the Sally Hansen one had), a black polish, a white polish, a white striper (a nail art brush dipped in white polish will do just fine), different sized dotting tools, a clean-up brush, a place to pour acetone or nail polish remover into (the cap of the acetone bottle works splendidly), and last but not least, topcoat!
Start off with a base coat. Then paint your index and ring finger black. Paint your middle finger white. Paint your pinky and thumb red. For the base colors I used Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Black Out, Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear White On, and Essie Fishnet Stockings. If you want to add a sparkle to the red, which I did, add any sparkly red polish over the red base. I used Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Red Carpet, which is a nice shimmery red.
Next, using a large dotting tool, make four dots on the middle finger, like I did above. Also, using the white striper brush or a nail art brush dipped in white, paint a bow outline on the ring finger. This will make the red really pop when you put it over the white, instead of a dull red color that you get when you put it directly on the black.
Using the smaller dotting tool, add Minnie Mouse ears on to the dots you made in the last step.
Sorry for the blurry picture on this one! And also I forgot to take a picture of the white base that I put under the red on my index finger. Just do the same idea as the ring finger bow, with a layer of white underneath the red. Next add red on top of the white bow with a nail art brush. Also make white dots all over your pinky with a small dotting tool.
Almost done! The last few steps are to add two ovular line things on the index finger to make the Mickey belly. Then, use a tiny dotting tool to put white dots on the bow. Add a larger dot in the middle. Finally paint a black bow shape on your pinky, clean up your cuticles with the paintbrush dipped in acetone, add top coat, and you're done!
P.S. You can think of a design to put on your thumb. Be creative! I ended up putting a Disney "D" on it but didn't get a picture :(
I hope you liked this post, and now you can try this mani at home! Please leave a comment below telling me if you want me to do more picture tutorials. Also I am thinking of doing a video tutorial soon so comment if you would like to see one of those!
Thanks for reading!
Such a cool blog! I love your designs and tutorials! Keep posting, you're awesome! :)
ReplyDelete